I am now taking pre-orders for QUEEN & Other Stories, a novel-length collection of my horror and dark science fiction work which includes selections from my two previous small-press short story collections, pieces that made their debut in various anthologies, a handful of no longer available Amazon shorts and, of course, some brand new works. The thirteen short stories and one novella include:
- Tradition: A widow and a group of her late husband’s friends take a stab at a cathartic hunting trip in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse.
- Old Stooping Lugh: Irish and Italian gangsters run afoul of an ancient Celtic deity in 1920′s Boston.
- Nice to Matter: The secret origin of a superhero cop’s prostitute sidekick.
- The Bad Place: A little girl discovers the secret behind her brother’s disappearance–and an outlandish time-travel plan to save her from their abusive father that might do more harm than good.
- Queen: A middle-aged woman in a frigid marriage discovers her experimental age-defying treatment may be something more than skin deep.
QUEEN & Other Stories will be self-published. I expect the Kindle version to go live in January, followed by the paperback edition in March. I’m taking pre-orders through Indiegogo, but I consider this to be more of a traditional pre-order than a fundraiser–there won’t be any crazy perks, just ways to order different editions of the book and either get them before anyone else or have them signed. My sole nods in the direction of bells and whistles are a Book Club package including a one-hour Skype chat, and my donation of ten percent of any money raised above my goal to the Horror Writers’ Association‘s Hardship Fund.
I’ll be using the funds raised to pay a cover artist and publicist, and to purchase copies of the book for sale at conventions and local signings. Though I’ve been published traditionally since 2006, I’ve had the occasional flirtation with self-publishing and want to finally take the plunge with a full-length, single-author work. Success in this venture will lead to more efforts of this nature, to include novella and full-length novel releases. Even if you can’t afford to purchase a copy, please consider sharing the link with your social networks.